Wine Recommendation
  Sign In
Subscribe to our newsletter
Bookmark and Share  
print this review   PDF version of review     

Wine Recommendation

Amicus Cellars | X Winery 2005 Syrahtica  (California)

Amicus Cellars | X Winery

2005 Syrahtica

This Syrah from X Winery, a company geared towards bringing high quality wines in the $10 to $25 range to the market, is actually just a few percentage points away from a Paso Robles appellation. Because 78% of the fruit is from Paso Robles with the remaining 22% from Napa Valley (Carneros), it bears the more generic California appellation. The packaging is an eye-catching, dark smokey glass bottle with a fiery red-orange flame up the front.

The wine is a bright, moderately opaque ruby with a watery rim and medium viscosity. On the nose, it is fruit forward with cherry, strawberry, oregano, basil, floral plus sandalwood incense and candied orange peel. On the palate, it is medium bodied and smooth, with ripe fruit and an underlying tangy quality. It is a good example of varietal expression, until the finish where it becomes a bit rough with oak and mint notes. This could easily be mitigated with dishes such as roast tenderloin of pork with honey and thyme, or baby back ribs with a robust mustard sauce. While the fruit is ripe and sweet as one would expect from the source, the use of oak is deliciously in check.

Reviewed January 16, 2008 by Catherine Fallis.

Other reviewed wines from Amicus Cellars | X Winery


The Wine

Winery: Amicus Cellars | X Winery
Vintage: 2005
Wine: Syrahtica
Appellation: California
Grape: Syrah / Shiraz
Price: 750ml $14.99

Review Date: 1/16/2008

The Reviewer

Catherine Fallis

Founder and President of Planet Grape LLC, a company committed to bringing the joy of wine, food, and good living into the lives of everyday people, Catherine is creator of the “grape goddess guides to good living,” a series of books, television presentations, seminars, and e-learning programs. The fifth woman in the world to become a Master Sommelier, grape goddess Catherine Fallis is still very much down-to-earth.