Wine Recommendation
  Sign In
Subscribe to our newsletter
Bookmark and Share  
print this review     

Wine Recommendation

Voss Vineyards

2001 Syrah
(Napa Valley)

Syrah is fast gaining in popularity and rightfully so. When made correctly, it can be a compelling wine with brambly deep red fruits and a backbone of earthiness that is the grape’s signature. This Voss rendition is just such a wine.

It’s rich without being cloying, and it’s interesting and thought-provoking by supplying the punch of slightly bitter tar in the end. It’s made for short term drinking, say now through the next six years or so.

The fruit, with the added addition of 2 percent Viognier (typical in the Northern Rhône), comes from Voss’ Rutherford estate and from another source farther south. The wine was aged for 15 months in mostly American oak (80 percent), of which only 40 percent was new. The remainder fermented in French wood, of which 60 percent was used. The alcohol is 14.5, but is well-integrated; 2,367 cases were produced and the price is right -- $19.

Reviewed January 17, 2006 by Alan Goldfarb.


The Wine

Winery: Voss Vineyards
Vintage: 2001
Wine: Syrah
Appellation: Napa Valley
Grapes: Syrah / Shiraz (98%), Viognier (2%)

Review Date: 1/17/2006

The Reviewer

Alan Goldfarb

Alan Goldfarb has been writing about and reviewing wine for 17 years. His reviews have been published in the St. Helena Star, San Jose Mercury, San Francisco Examiner, Decanter, and Wine Enthusiast, among others. Not once has he used a point system, star system, or an iconic symbol to quantify a wine. What counts in Mr. Goldfarb’s criteria when judging a wine is: how it tastes in the glass; is it well-constructed; its food compatibility; and presence of redeeming regional attributes.