Saint Laurent Winery: winery information
Winemaker: Craig Mitrakul
Craig was "hand selected" by Saint Laurent's previous wine maker. His vast experience in the wine industry, as well as his energy and enthusiasm, add the final touch to Saint Laurent's classic, approachable wines.
- Rutgers University – 1994, B.S. Food Science
- Cornell University – 1997, M.S. Food Science
- Chateau Ste. Michelle – 1997, Enology Intern
- Rosemount Estates – 1998, Cellar Worker
- Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellar -- 1998-2000, Winemaker
- Ponzi Vineyards -- 2000-2002, Assistant Winemaker
- Three Rivers Winery -- 2002-2004, Assistant Winemaker
Annual Production: 6,000 cases
MATTAWA (Wahluke Slope AVA)
In 1999, Mike planted the first 60 acres, on the Wahluke slope, to Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Today the vineyards blanket 260 prime, fertile acres near the mighty Columbia River. The vineyard sites, on the Wahluke Slope, are located in the heart of the famous Columbia Valley AVA.
The Wahluke Slope, has just been declared to be a separate AVA, which is highly renowned for premier red wines. The region’s terroir is known for several unique characteristics: first, is the great solar intensity -- its day length and growing degree days; second, is the unique soil profile and fertility created by ancient lava flows and glacial floods -- in the channeled scablands region.
Grape Varieties Planted
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Syrah / Shiraz
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Franc
- St. Laurent